July 26, 2020

take a (miniature) seat

Hey everyone, I'm back with something that actually belongs on this blog 😉, but thank you so much for your wonderful and supportive comments on my last post, it means a lot! Because I needed something a bit straight forward for now I recently started a miniature chair I've wanted to make for years. After one I've had myself that I still love and although I plan to one day make one just like it, for now I'll make a green leather version.


Why green? Well, because I have an old olive green leather jacket that is a bit damaged but more importantly makes me look 20 pounds heavier than I am and for some years now I thought it is however the most lovely and perfect material for a miniature leather .., well anything really, like a chair. It's very soft & supple and slightly aged. I might make a chesterfield couch with it someday, I've always loved those too and how cool would a green one be?


don't judge.. 😊 the material is too perfect for what I love to make (as I am usually the biggest fan of giving clothing a second life as well as a fan of second-hand clothes and second-hand anything myself), haven't had the heart to cut the leather yet though.. ;)
I'm not sure if I'll succeed at making the 'chesterfield'-type indentations (I think there is a term for that, but if so I have no idea what that is) mostly because I'm not able to use a sewing machine but I'm also not sure íf the leather - although not thick at all - is thin enough for that. But I'll definitely give it a try and see what I'm able to make of it.


That's for later as I obviously started with the skeleton. I have no idea what that looks like on the inside and no expert in miniature furniture as it is, but I decided to use 5 of the basic shape - that I determined based on what I could feel through the fabric and padding - I cut from a sheet of 1,5mm mdf. I'm going to fill each section up with 7 layers of pieces of coffee stirrers. They are perfectly narrow for that and can also be easily snapped at the right length (cut superficially with a hobby knife first). → I later realized it probably has more depth in the middle so I cut more out of the seating area towards the middle, as you can see above.

I had them the same size here, but decided to cut out more of the middle sections

For the legs I found staircase posts in my stash I've started to cut into the right shape and I once found the most perfect little wheels for it I've had for quite some years with this very chair in mind. They are from Art of Mini, but unfortunately for anyone who would love to have some, they don't sell them anymore at the time of writing this post. Maybe they will again in the future. The legs are still quite raw and not what they should be, but it's a start.


In case anyone is wondering about the working blender and treetrunk-coffee table I was in the process of making, I have not forgotten those I promise. I would actually really love to proceed with and finish those, but I have my (long story) reasons for still not being able to work on either one of them and this is the alternative. The chair does fit and will go in the scene with the coffee table that could actually use an easy chair so it's still related to that 😊.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Susan, so good to see you, I hope I'm able to live up to that expectation 😊, but thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. Yo pienso que te quedará genial ya que el comienzo es estupendo!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Pilar, espero que lo haga 😊, besos a ti!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, not too sure about the 'indentations' yet, but I hope so! 😊

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy following the thought process and creation of a self crafted piece. It's a lovely chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene 😊! I know what you mean, it´s what I´ve always enjoyed about other´s work too. Great to see you, thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea, it will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monique! I love the shape of your chair! The little wheels on the legs are wonderful! We call the indentations where the fabric is pulled in tight to itself in places "tufting". I think your leather one will look awesome! I would not have thought to make the frame in "slices" the way you have... but it makes perfect sense! Keep up the Fabulous work! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Betsy, thank you so much for saying that! Yes, they are cute aren't they? I fell in love with them instantly, well, that might be a bit much, but you get it ;). Yes, that's it, 'tufting', I do remember that term now you mention it, thank you! Haha, I'm not sure any furniture maker would approve of my slice-method (although feeling through the fabric and padding it does seem the sides are actually that so it's at least true to some extent) and I do try to stick to the most accurate way of building something but it works for me now. Stepping out of the box 😊.

      Delete
  8. i love the color and the fact that you are up cycling (a new word I learned from flea market flip) is a good thing cant wait to see it all together

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to see some posts from you. :] This looks like a lovely start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brae, and it's so great to have you here! 😊 And thank you, I hope to be able to get on with it soon!

      Delete